What do you make when LG sends you their new NeoChef microwave oven and a mystery basket of ingredients containing maple-flavoured golden syrup, cinnamon sticks, vanilla coffee, edible balls and gold dust? You make magic! Well, Magic Cake, that is.
What is magic cake, you ask? See all those beautiful layers? There’s a dense caramelly bottom topped with a set custard and finally a light airy sponge on top. All of those layers were magically formed in the LG NeoChef. Amazing, right?
I’ve always been a microwave fan and I’ve got loads of recipes to show for it: this Microwave Chocolate Lamington recipe or my favourite Microwave Fudge. The LG NeoChef is beyond a standard microwave, though. It has fancy new smart inverter technology which allows you to control the watts; high for fudge, low for melting chocolate and super low for proving dough or even making yoghurt!
I used the grill combi setting for this cake. It’s perfect for microwave cakes or cupcakes as it combines the speed of microwave cooking but has a grill element to brown and caramelise the top. For me it’s a total game-changer. This cake is so versatile – feel free to swop out the coffee for chocolate, the syrup for honey or the cinnamon for cardamom. What’s your favourite thing to make in the microwave? I’d love to know in the comments below!
- 250ml milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 75g maple flavoured syrup
- 15ml strong brewed Vanilla flavoured coffee, cooled
- 65g salted butter, melted
- 60g cake flour, sifted
- Coffee Syrup
- 60g maple flavoured golden syrup
- 30ml warm, brewed vanilla-flavoured coffee
- Vanilla ice cream, white chocolate shavings, gold dust and edible balls, to serve
- Preheat the LG NeoChef oven to 160 degrees Celsius or set the oven to grill combo - see TIP. Grease and line a standard loaf tin (or a similar sized microwaveable dish if you're using the combo setting).
- Bring the milk and cinnamon stick to the boil. Set aside and allow to cool completely. Strain.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff peak stage.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with the syrup and coffee until light. Add the melted butter and beat for another minute then add the milk.
- Fold in the sifted flour - the mixture will look lumpy but don't worry, this is correct.
- Gently fold in the beaten egg whites with a metal spoon.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 1 hour or until the top is golden and the cake jiggles like jelly when you shake it lightly.
- Allow to cool in the pan for at least 3 hours before unmoulding. Make the syrup by combining the ingredients and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Serve piled with vanilla ice cream, white chocolate shavings, drizzling of syrup, gold dust and edible balls.
- TIP If you want to make it using the microwave setting, set the LG NeoChef cook mode to Grill-Combi 1 and cook for 10 minutes or until slightly wobbly but set. Allow to cool completely before serving.
Disclaimer: This post has been sponsored by LG South Africa.