These Hot Cross Bundts are a fun spin on hot cross buns. They’re loaded with spice and fruit, topped with a glaze and served with a boozy rum and raisin sauce.
Hot Cross Bundts
A spiced cake topped with a glaze and served with a rum 'n raisin sauce. Recipe originally created for Food & Home Entertaining Magazine
- 250g cake flour
- 5g instant yeast
- 50g brown sugar
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- (¼ tsp) nutmeg
- (¼ tsp) cloves
- (¼ tsp) allspice
- pinch salt
- 25g butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 125ml (½ cup) full cream milk + extra, if needed
- 185ml (¾ cup) roughly chopped The Kate Tin Dark Chocolate
- RUM AND RAISIN SAUCE
- 250ml (1 cup) maple syrup
- 60ml (4 tbsp) brown sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) water
- 45ml (3 tbsp) rum
- 60ml (4 tbsp) raisins
- 30ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 180ml (¾ cup) icing sugar, sieved
- 30ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 15ml (1 tbsp) water
- good-quality vanilla ice cream, to serve
- 1 In a large bowl combine the flour, yeast, 50g brown sugar, spices and salt and mix
- until incorporated. In a separate bowl, whisk the 25g melted butter, egg and milk
- together. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until a sticky dough forms. Add extra milk
- to the dough, if needed – it should be soft and sticky.
- 2 Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead, 8 – 10 minutes, until it forms a
- smooth surface and when pressed, the dough springs back. Place the dough in a bowl
- and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm area to rise, 1 hour or overnight in the
- 3 When the dough has doubled in size, remove from bowl and knead in the chocolate.
- Preheat the oven to 60°C and place a roasting tray filled with water in the bottom of the
- oven. Grease a large Bundt tin. Roll the dough out into a long cylinder and place it in the
- tin, seal the seam by pinching the ends together. Cover with cling film and place in the
- oven to prove, 1 hour or until puffy and doubled in size. Remove from oven, then
- increase the heat to 180°C. Remove the cling film from the Bundt and bake, 30 – 45
- minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- 4 For the rum and raisin sauce, in a small bowl, combine the rum and the raisins and
- allow them to soak, about 15 minutes. Whisk the maple syrup, 60ml (4 tbsp) sugar and
- the water together in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until the sugar has
- completely dissolved, then add the rum and raisins, along with the butter and simmer
- over low heat, 2 – 3 minutes. Set aside until needed.
- 5 For the glaze, mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice and water to form a thick glaze.
- Drizzle over the cooled Bundt cake and serve with the rum and raisin sauce and ice
- cream on the side.
The Kate Tin https://thekatetin.com/